Saturday, 3 January 2015

WORST BOOKS OF 2014!

So, you're probably sick of me going on about what I read last year by now, but this post is different. These are my LEAST FAVORITE books of 2014, because I like to complain about things. It's pretty much my only skill.

Disclaimer: This post is all just my opinion. I'm not saying I hate the authors or that nobody else should read them, I just personally didn't really enjoy them. If you love these books, that's awesome!

As usual, I've got goodreads links for all the books if you want more information about what they're about.


UNRAVELING - ELIZABETH NORRIS (goodreads: x)
I read this book right at the start of the year, so I can't really remember much about it. I do remember that it had an interesting premise and largely positive reviews so my expectations were pretty high. Unfortunately I hated the main character (and pretty much everyone else in the book), and although the story line was unique it was also ridiculous. I just didn't like it.

SERAPHINA - RACHEL HARTMAN (goodreads: x)
My problem with this book probably has more to do with the fact that I most of it at six in the morning on a coach full of rowdy teenagers than it does with the actual book, but I'm putting it on this list anyway. Here's the thing, I just didn't GET this book. I didn't understand it. I didn't know what was going on. In fact, nothing seemed to be going on. All the characters kind of mixed together in my head and I didn't really care about any of them. In this books defense, it's original and it has a really great premise (humans that turn into dragons? sign me up). I might try and read it again in the future, because I feel like I just missed the point.

HALF BAD - SALLY GREEN (goodreads: x)
This book is like marmite; you either love it or hate it. (I have never tried marmite, so I can't give you my opinion on that debate). Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this book. I felt like nothing really happened, and although I sympathized with the main character Nathan he was the only character I felt any connection to. I also felt like there wasn't any world building (WHY are some witches bad and some good? why do they hate each other so much?) and I didn't like the pacing. I'd still recommend you check it out if you're interested- it's well written and so many people love it -but I personally didn't get on with it.

TEARDROP - LAUREN KATE (goodreads: x)
This book isn't terrible. In fact, I thought the mythology and the concept were really, really interesting. I had two problems with 'teardrop': the writing and the characters, which were actually the same problems I had with Lauren Kate's 'Fallen' series. Lauren's writing doesn't have anything fundamentally wrong with it, I just can't get into it. I understand that the main characters mother has just died and she has a right to be angsty, but I  still found her really whiny and annoying. Her love interest was a total stalker, and I just can't be doing with any more stalker-y types in YA. Sorry stalkers.

GIRL, MISSING and SISTER, MISSING - SOPHIE MCKENZIE (goodreads: x x)
I've said this before, but I really don't get on with Sophie McKenzie's books. I didn't like these books at all, especially 'Sister, missing' (which I have officially crowned my least favorite book of 2014! Congratulations!) 'Girl, missing' was ridiculous and unrealistic, the characters were unbearably irritating and the writing seemed really amateurish. All of those problems were just amplified in 'sister, missing'. A lot of people like these books, and you may do too, but I obviously really didn't. Sorry, not sorry.

-Mia xx 



No comments:

Post a Comment