Tuesday, 6 January 2015

WRITING AND STUFF

This is kind of random, but I wanted to talk about writing. In particular my current work-in-progress/ my first ever first draft of a novel (!!!!!!)

I've always written. I have a vivid memory of creating a picture book, written and illustrated by yours truly, about a purple unicorn who walked for 500 miles to find a friend. I was about five then, and over the past nine years I haven't looked back. I write short stories (a lot of them), I write poetry, I write the first five thousand words of novels that never go any further.  

I want to be an author. It's the only job I've ever really wanted (after my dreams of being a ballerina/mermaid/wizard were savagely crushed). Honestly I have no idea what else I could do with my life. When I'm not reading or writing I'm researching other people's writing techniques or finding out about about the publishing series (which scares the shit out of me) But, however many ideas I've had, I've never written a whole novel.

I decided to make that change a few months ago, when I started to plan my current "thing" (I'm hesitant to call it a novel when I only have a couple of thousand words) a few months ago. Now my outline is almost finished, my characters are practically alive in my brain and I think I'm ready to do this. I'm ready to write a god damn novel.

As of right now (I started writing yesterday) I have 2,458 words. I'm still in the opening scene, but I'm really excited about getting into this book! I have a feeling this is going to be the one I finally actually write. I'm not going to tell you too much what it's about right now, but I can say it involves two twin sisters, two secret societies and a hell of a lot of fire. 

I'm going to blog this journey, so watch out! It's probably going to be a bumpy ride.

-Mia xx

No comments:

Post a Comment