Friday, 13 February 2015

VALENTINE SPECIAL: MY FAVORITE ROMANTIC SCENES

Hello there!
Welcome to part two of my Valentines countdown. Today I'm going to talk about some of my favorite romantic scenes in YA books. With quotes!
FEELS WARNING! PROCEED WITH CAUTION!
IF YOU'RE REALLY BOTHERED ABOUT SPOILERS YOU CAN SKIP THE ONES FROM BOOKS YOU HAVEN'T READ.

THE CAVE SCENE - THE HUNGER GAMES

“So that day, in music assembly, the teacher asked who knew the valley song. Your hand shot right up in the air. She stood you up on a stool and had you sing it for us. And I swear, every bird outside the windows fell silent,” Peeta says.
“Oh, please,” I say, laughing.
“No, it happened. And right when your song ended, I knew—just like your mother—I was a goner,” Peeta says. “Then for the next eleven years, I tried to work up the nerve to talk to you.”
“Without success,” I add.


Turns out being stuck in a cave is the best situation for declarations of love, and it's perfect. There were a few scenes I could have picked for this couple, but it's the first one that I really love.

THE DINNER DATE - THE FAULT IN OUR STARS

Some people in a lacquered wooden boat approached us on the canal below. One of them, a woman with curly blonde hair, maybe thirty, drank from a beer then raised her glass towards us and shouted something.
"We don't speak Dutch," Gus shouted back.
One of the others shouted a translation: "The beautiful couple is beautiful!"

Is there anything more romantic than a meal in a beautiful restaurant by a canal in Amsterdam? No. There isn't.


KISSING IN GRANDMAS DRIVEWAY - ELEANOR AND PARK

"Okay?" He whispered.
She nodded. He pulled her closer and and kissed the top of her head. He tried to find her ear under all that hair. 
"Come here." He said "I want to show you something."
She laughed. He lifted her chin.
The second time was even less terrible.

I can't help but say 'awww' out loud every time I read this scene. It's inevitable.


READING OUT LOUD - FANGIRL

But she was so tired.
And his mouth was so soft.
And nobody had ever kissed Cath like this before. Only Abel had kissed her before, and that was like getting pushed squarely on the mouth and pushing back.
Levi's kisses were all talking. Like he was drawing something out of her with soft little jabs of his chin.
She brought her fingers up to his hair, and she couldn't open her eyes. 
Eventually, she couldn't stay awake.

There are a few scenes in fangirl when Cath reads out loud to Levi. The one I'm talking about is when she's reading him 'outsiders' and they're just leaning on each other and it's adorable.


KISSING UNDER WATER - PERCY JACKSON AND THE LAST OLYMPIAN

With a huge cheer, they carried us down the hill, but they kept us close enough to hold hands. Annabeth was laughing, and I couldn't help laughing too, even though my face was completely red. We held hands right up to the moment they dumped us in the water.
Afterwards I had the last laugh. I made an air bubble at the bottom of the lake. Our friends kept waiting for us to come up, but hey - when you're the son of Poseidon, you don't have to worry.
And it was pretty much the best underwater kiss of all time.

I think that last line pretty much sums it up.


KISSING BY THE CHASM - DIVERGENT

For a few minutes we kiss, deep in the chasm, with the roar of the water all around us. And when we rise, hand in hand, I realize that if we had both chosen differently, we might have ended up doing the same thing, in a safer place, in gray clothes instead of black ones.

*cries* That is all.


There are so many more scenes I could have talked about today (in fact, their all just flooding into my head right now.) but I really need to go and write! Have a great valentines day tomorrow, or just have a good weekend if your as single as I am :) 

PS: I realise now that I forgot to include Pride and Prejudice in yesterdays 'favorite romantic books' post. I'm not sure how this happened. It's pretty much the ultimate classic romance, and I love it most ardently. Lets just pretend it was on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment