Thursday, 9 April 2015

(A FEW OF) MY FAVORITE DEDICATIONS

The dedication is a very tiny part of a book, so tiny that a lot of people just skip over them, but sometimes they can be a great part of it.
Because I'm a nerd who reads every part of the book, from the publishing details to the acknowledgements, I've always loved seeing who the author chooses to dedicate their word to.

From the sentimental to the hilarious, here are just a few of my favorite dedications in books...


THE HOUSE OF HADES and THE BLOOD OF OLYMPUS - RICK RIORDAN
To my wonderful readers: Sorry about that last cliff-hanger. Well, no, not really. HAHAHAHA. But seriously, I love you guys
and
To my wonderful readers . Sorry about that apology for that last cliffhanger. I'll try and avoid cliffhangers in this book. Well, except for maybe a few small ones...because I love you guys.

Oh, Rick Riordan. You're the worst.

THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE - C.S LEWIS
My dear Lucy,
I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too old to hear, and too deaf to understand, a word you say, but I shall still be your affectionate godfather,
C.S Lewis

Aside from being one of my favorite books of all time, this book has an ADORABLE dedication.

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - J.K ROWLING
I'll admit, I haven't actually read this book yet, but the dedication is really cool and lightening bolt shaped.

A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC - V.E SCHWAB
For those who dream of stranger worlds.

 I'm not sure why I like this one so much, but it's short and sweet and it totally applies to me.

THE FOREVER SONG - JULIE KAGAWA
To Nick, your ideas are invaluable.
And to my readers. Your tears feed my muse.

Just Julie Kagawa confirming what I already knew was true. God, I've shed so many tears over her books. The woman is a sadist. 

THE JUBILEE EXPRESS - MAUREEN JOHNSON (from Let it Snow)
To Hamish, who embodied the 'go down the hill really fast, and if something gets in your way, turn' school of teaching me how to deal with a snowy slope. And for all who toil behind the facade of a corporate monolith, for every person who has to say grande latte three thousand times a day, for every soul who's ever had to deal with a broken credit card reader in the holiday rush...this one's for you. 

Christmas spirit as it's best.

DIVERGENT - VERONICA ROTH
To my mother,
who gave me the moment when Beatrice realizes how strong her mother is and wonders how she missed it for so long.

Awwww. I have the overwhelming urge to go and hug my mum now.


What are some of your favorite dedications? Do you ever pay attention to them? Tell me in the comments! (Even though I won't be able to answer for a few days because I'm on a trip and this post is scheduled)

No comments:

Post a Comment