Thursday, 2 April 2015

BLOGGER TIPS: SPREADSHEETS ARE YOUR FRIENDS

Hi guys!
This is up kind of late because I'm not at school so my schedule has been completely thrown up. Sorry.

Today I want to talk about one of my biggest loves in life, besides books and Dylan O'Brien: SPREADSHEETS! 

This might be the nerdiest thing I've ever posted on the internet. Oh well.

I know this may seem completely random, but bear with me. I just want to talk about how much I love spreadsheets.

So, I have a spreadsheet for everything, but I'm going to specifically tell you how I use spreadsheets to organize my books and my blogging!

WHY THEY'RE HELPFUL
Spreadsheets are easy to make, easy to use, and organize your information in a way that's super simple to see. 
You can add more information whenever you need to, especially if you're using a computer.
You can colour code things!
You can store all of your relevant information in one place, where it's easy to compare and see what you need.

Basically, if you want to keep your blog, your reading or anything else in your life organized then SPREADSHEETS ARE YOUR BEST FRIENDS!

MY SPREADSHEETS
I use openoffice calc to make my spreadsheets, which is basically a free version of microsoft excel, but any program will work!

This is my BLOG TRACKER spreadsheet, which I use to track what's going to be posted on my blog. (There's a sneak peak of what's coming up on my blog here, so look closely!) 
As you can tell, I don't always have my posts planned in advance, but this is really helpful for knowing if I have any blog tours or cover reveals coming up. It also allows me to see what I've posted recently so I don't repeat anything.
This spreadsheet is colour coded (most of them are, I just love colour coding). When I've written the post, the box turns green instead of red, when I've uploaded it or scheduled it, that box goes green too. It's a really satisfying feeling. At the end of the day the line gets turned yellow, so I know that day has passed and don't get too confused.








You can't read this one. Sorry, it's kind of huge. But this is the spreadsheet I use to track all of the REVIEW BOOKS I have. 
I have a column for the title of the book, the author, the publisher, the date I want to get the review up by, the release date of the book, whether I've read the book or not, whether I've written the review yet, whether the review has been posted and (the column that's been cut off the end) the place I got it from. I realize that is a lot of columns.
The colour coded columns are red if I've not done the thing, and green if I have. As you can see I have a lot of red, which means a lot of books I need to read and review. 
As soon as the review of the book has been posted it is deleted from the spreadsheet.

This is my BOOKSHELF INVENTORY, where I keep a record of every (physical) book I own. Obviously it's much larger than this- I have almost three hundred books- but these are just the first few lines. 
This one isn't very interesting. It doesn't even have any colours. :(


This is my READING TRACKER, where I record every book I read (including the title, author, the dates I read it one, my rating, the series, and the page counts).
Every month has a different colour, which is a lifesaver when I'm trying to write my monthly wrap ups. In fact, this whole spreadsheet makes seeing what I read each month so much easier.
I started this spreadsheet at the very end of 2013, so it's really interesting to look back on what I read a year or so ago!

I have more spreadsheets than that, but those are all the ones that relate to my blog. You probably all think I'm a little bit crazy now, but they're seriously so helpful for keeping me organised and motivated.
Do you have any spreadsheets you use? If not, I totally recommend you make one. Don't forget the colours!

No comments:

Post a Comment