Sunday, 19 April 2015

VINTAGE BOOKS HAUL

Hi guys!
Sorry I've been absent for a few days. My only excuse was that I was watching Emma Approved (it was totally worth it).


Yesterday, whilst clearing out the attic, my dad found a box of old books that had belonged to members of our family in past generations and were published as far back as the late 1800's. Of course he brought these books straight to his book-loving daughter and told me I could pick out whichever ones I wanted.

Unfortunately, a lot of them were too old/broken/damaged by the damp in our attic for me to take custody of, but I have got some of the ones in better conditions. They all smell a little bit of damp, but I can get past that. 


This is a copy of Kipps by H.G Wells, an author I've heard a lot about but never read anything from. It doesn't have an exact printing date on it, but from the introduction- which states 'When Mr Wells first published Kipps some twenty years ago (in 1905, to be precise)...'- I am assuming it came out in the mid-late 1920s. 
The book is small and leather bound, and the detail on the spine is totally gorgeous. I love it.

This is a little handbook on writing techniques and the English language, first published in 1927 by J.M Dent and sons. The copy I have was published in 1946. As someone who likes writing (and also likes pretty, green, vintage books) it sounded pretty interesting!

This is another book about the English language, which appeals to the writer in me. It was first published in 1938 by Jarrold and sons, and this copy was printed in 1939.

This book is gorgeous. Look at that spine! Look at all the detail! I can't even.
It's actually falling apart, possibly because it was published over a hundred years ago in 1908, but I had to keep it because it's just so pretty. 

None of the pictures I took of this book came even close to showing how pretty it is. The pages are sprayed shiny gold, and the leather of the cover has a really cool texture. It's probably the prettiest, and the oldest, book in this haul.
The book itself is just a collection of church hymns and was printed in 1906.

I don't know when these copies of Dickens' novels were published, but they are really cool and leather bound and have pretty illustrations. Between that and the fact they didn't fall apart in my hands, I had to have them!




No comments:

Post a Comment