Monday, 1 June 2015

APRIL + MAY WRAP UP

It's been a long time since I did a monthly reading wrap up! Two months, to be exact. I was too busy at the end of April and the start of May to do my April wrap up, so I thought I'd just include it with my May wrap up.

I have a total of 16 books to talk about today, so I think I should just get started.

A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC - V.E SCHWAB
 
PUBLISHER: Tor books
RELEASE DATE: February 24th 2015
PAGES: 400
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: I LOVED THIS BOOK! It's definitely in my top 5 books of the year, and I don't think it's going to slip from that position any time soon. I thought it was beautifully written and had a really intriguing storyline, and I really can't wait for the sequel which comes out next year. I talked a little bit more about it HERE.
RATING: 5/5

THE BEAUTIFUL CASSANDRA - JANE AUSTEN
 
PUBLISHER: Penguin
RELEASE DATE: 1793
PAGES: 64
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: This is one of the Penguin little black classics, so it only took me about an hour to read. I adore Jane Austen and I was really excited to find out one of her stories was in this range. Overall I really enjoyed it, but there wasn't enough to feel like a full story.
RATING: 3.5/5

SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA - BECKY ALBERTALLI
PUBLISHER: Balzer + Bray
RELEASE DATE: April 7th 2015
PAGES: 303
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: This book is another one that's on my top 5 so far this year! I adored it! Obviously the start of April was just a really good time for my reading. You can find out more about what I thought in my FULL REVIEW.
RATING: 5/5

A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS - KHALED HOUSSINI
PUBLISHER: Bloomsbury
RELEASE DATE: 2006
PAGES: 372
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: This book was so beautiful. It's very sad and kind of depressing, but the writing is incredible and the descriptions are beautiful. It's just a really powerful book. Shout out to my Mum for recommending this book to me/crying over it with me.
RATING: 4.5/5

EMMA - JANE AUSTEN
PUBLISHER: Penguin
RELEASE DATE: 1815
PAGES: 474
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: After reading and loving Pride and Prejudice last year, I was really excited to read another Jane Austen novel. Emma did not disappoint! Pride and Prejudice was much better, in my opinion, but I really love Jane Austen's writing and the characters in this book were great.
RATING: 4/5

THE WALLS AROUND US - NOVA REN SUMA
PUBLISHER: Algonquin
RELEASE DATE: March 24th 2015
PAGES: 336
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: This book was really, really well written, with an interesting plot and a great creepy atmosphere. You can find out more in my FULL REVIEW
RATING: 4/5

AWOKEN - SARAH NOFFKE
PUBLISHER: One-Twenty-Six press
RELEASE DATE: November 20th 2014
PAGES: 312
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: Awoken was fast paced and interesting, but it wasn't really memorable to me compared to all the other books I've read. You can find out more in my FULL REVIEW
RATING: 4/5

THE NIGHT IS DARKENING ROUND ME - EMILY BRONTE
PUBLISHER: Penguin
RELEASE DATE: February 26th 2015
PAGES: 64
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: This is a really short poetry collection, and it only took me about half an hour to read. I'm not normally a big poetry fan but I have to admit that some of the poems in this book were really, really beautiful.
RATING: 4/5

FIVE WOUNDS - KATHARINE EDGAR
PUBLISHER: Greengate books
RELEASE DATE: February 27th 2015
PAGES: 253
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: I really enjoyed Five Wounds, especially the historical aspects, but I did find it a little bit slow. You can read my FULL REVIEW to find out more.
RATING: 3.5/5

THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN - HOLLY BLACK
PUBLISHER: Little, Brown books
RELEASE DATE: September 3rd 2013
PAGES: 419
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: I really enjoyed The darkest part of the forest by Holly Black, so I couldn't wait to read more of her book. The coldest girl in coldtown definitely didn't disappoint. It mixed Holly's great writing style and talent for creating creepy, mysterious atmospheres with a really original and intriguing storyline which created a really great read.
RATING: 4.5/5

A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES - SARAH J. MAAS
PUBLISHER: Bloomsbury
RELEASE DATE: May 5th 2015
PAGES: 416
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: I know everybody is talking about this book right now, but I really think it's worth the hype. It was definitely slow to start with and took me a while to get into, but the world is really interesting and I'm really excited to see where the story goes. If you love Sarah's writing style in the Throne of Glass series I think you'll adore this one! 
RATING: 4.5/5

ROGUE - JULIE KAGAWA
PUBLISHER: Harlequin
RELEASE DATE: April 28th 2015
PAGES: 464
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: Anybody who knows me at all knows that I adore Julie Kagawa. I haven't read a book by her yet that I haven't loved, and Rogue was no exception. It was really action packed and entertaining, and I enjoyed it even more than the first book. You can find out more in my FULL REVIEW
RATING: 4.5/5

EXTRAORDINARY MEANS - ROBYN SCHNEIDER
PUBLISHER: Simon and Schuster 
RELEASE DATE: June 5th 2015 (UK)
PAGES: 336
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: I really enjoyed this book! It's very reminiscent of The fault in our stars by John Green, both in writing style and story, but I adore TFiOS so that wasn't a bad thing to me. It's beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time, and overall I totally recommend it. You can find out more in my FULL REVIEW.
RATING: 4.5/5

THE TETHERING - MEGAN O'RUSSELL
PUBLISHER: Silence in the Library
RELEASE DATE: October 17th 2014
PAGES: 256
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: This was an entertaining and fast paced book, but it had too many cliches and not enough development for my taste. You can find out more about my thoughts in my FULL REVIEW.
RATING: 3.5/5

THE SIRENS REALM - MEGAN O'RUSSELL
PUBLISHER: Silence in the Library publishing
RELEASE DATE: April 27th 2015
PAGES: 218
GOODREADS: X
MY THOUGHTS: This is the sequel to The Tethering, and I definitely preferred it to the first book. I enjoyed seeing more of the world and characters and I thought the plot was a lot more unique. My full review will be up tomorrow!
RATING: 4/5

That's all the books I've read over the past two months! Anybody who read this entire post gets a free cookie. 

-MIA 

No comments:

Post a Comment