Friday, 7 August 2015

CAMPNANOWRIMO JULY 2015: I WON!

Hi everyone,

July camp NaNoWriMo is over, and I'm happy to report that I met my goal for the month! Yay! 

If you don't know what Camp NaNoWriMo is, you can find out on their website here. You can also find out more about my novel in THIS POST, and about how I did in the first two weeks in THIS POST.

My goal for the month was to write 35,000 words of the second draft of my novel (I was too busy to try and get 50,000). I actually ended up reaching this on the 27th of July, which meant I finished four days early! That was great, but I have to admit I haven't really written much since then...

I traveled a lot in July, and I had exams at school, so my writing was really up and down. Some days I wrote 5,000+ words, and sometimes I wasn't able to write anything for days at a time. This was pretty stressful, and there were a lot of times that I didn't think I was going to be able to get the 35k words written, so I'm extra happy that I actually managed to reach my goal! Here's what my progress graph looked like at the end of the month:

This was my first time taking part in any NaNoWriMo event (I'll be doing my first actual NaNoWriMo in November, and I'm really nervous) and I really enjoyed the experience! All of the sprints and the write-ins made me feel super motivated to write, and I was definitely a lot more productive than I would be in any other month. I totally recommend Camp NaNo to anybody who sucks at motivating themselves to write like I do.

As well as being my first NaNoWriMo experience, July was the first time I ever tried to edit a novel. This is the first book I've actually managed to get to the second draft stage, and I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. I'm kind of just making up my editing strategy as I go along. Despite all this, I'm really happy with how my second draft is going so far! I feel like my story is just getting better and better the more I work on it, and I'm more optimistic about my own writing than I've ever been before. It's so great to see your work become...a better version of your work. 

So what am I going to do now July is over? I'm obviously going to finish this draft (I'm hoping to get it done before I get back to school in September, but I'm not sure that's possible), then I'll be putting this project away for a while and start working on my next novel. I'm hoping to spend all of October planning and outlining, and then I'll be using NaNoWriMo in November to write (some of) the first draft. I'm really excited about this new story, and I can't wait to start working on it when I've finished this draft!

-MIA

No comments:

Post a Comment