Monday, 3 August 2015

JULY READING WRAP UP

Hi everyone!

July is over, and it felt like the shortest month in the history of months. Seriously, what happened? 
I had a really hectic and exciting month, but unfortunately I didn't get much time to read. It didn't help that I was in a massive reading slump for the first half of the month either. Even so, I managed to read a total of seven books in July. Here's what I thought about them...
BEAUTIFUL GIRL - FLEUR PHILLIPS 
PUBLISHER: SparkPress
PAGE COUNT: 150
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: I wanted to like this book, I really did, but it was just way too short for me to get much out of it. The story seemed very rushed, there was no character development and the romance was ridiculously instalove-ey. It was entertaining enough, and maybe I could have enjoyed it if it had been less rushed, but overall I wasn't a huge fan. Full review coming soon!
RATING: 2/5

ONLY EVER YOURS - LOUISE O'NEILL 
PUBLISHER: Quercus 
PAGE COUNT: 392
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: Only Ever Yours has been gathering a lot of awards and attention since its release, and I can definitely see why. It's a haunting and horribly realistic look at what our society could become, and the story has stuck with me long after I finished it (well, it's only been a couple of weeks). I would say it was lacking slightly in world building and character development, but the story was so powerful and the message so important that it almost didn't matter.
RATING: 4.5/5

THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO - PATRICK NESS 
PUBLISHER: Walker books
PAGE COUNT: 478
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did I was completely hooked. It's very unique and kind of strange, but the world is really original and the story is super interesting and I'm already attached to the characters. Oh, and the ending KILLED ME. I can't wait to get onto the second book!
RATING: 4.5/5

GO SET A WATCHMAN - HARPER LEE
PUBLISHER: HarperCollins
PAGE COUNT: 308
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: I was very skeptical about Go set a watchman before I started it, but I'm happy to say I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. Harper Lee's writing is just as rich as it is in Mockingbird, and I enjoyed seeing some beloved characters even if they weren't exactly the people we all remembered. It doesn't have the heart, the charm or (in my opinion) the power that Mockingbird does, but it was an interesting read and one I'm glad I experienced. 
RATING: 3.75/5

EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING - NICOLA YOON
PUBLISHER: Delacorte
PAGE COUNT: 320
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: Ahhhh, I loved this book! It's a cute romance with an interesting twist (a girl who is literally allergic to the entire world), that made me feel equal parts heartbroken, inspired and all gooey inside. It's sweet. It's emotional. It only took me, like, two hours to read. I definitely recommend you pick this one up when it's released on September 1st.

RATING: 4.75/5

ANOTHER DAY - DAVID LEVITHAN
PUBLISHER: Electric monkey
PAGE COUNT: 400
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: Another day was a really quick, interesting read from one of my favorite authors and I definitely enjoyed it. However, I don't necessarily think it added a lot to the story already established in Every Day and I don't think it's one you really HAVE to read. I explained this more in my FULL REVIEW.

RATING: 4/5

AM I NORMAL YET? - HOLLY BOURNE
PUBLISHER: Usborne
PAGE COUNT: 434
GOODREADS: x
MY THOUGHTS: Holly Bourne never disappoints me. I LOVED this book. It deals with the topics of mental health and feminism, which are both really important and not talked about enough in YA. It's touching, funny and relatable, and I recommend it to anybody who may be reading this post right now. READ IT. 

RATING: 4.5/5

TOTAL PAGE COUNT: 2482
FAVORITE BOOK OF THE MONTH: 'Everything, Everything'. Or 'Am I Normal yet?'. Or 'Only Ever Yours'. I can't choose.

Thank you so much for reading! Here's to a great August...

-MIA

No comments:

Post a Comment