Sunday, 2 August 2015

SBPT #5: MY FAVORITE BOOK STORES by THE BOOKBANDIT BLOG

THE SUMMER BLOGGER PROMO TOUR IS HOSTED BY THE BOOK BRATZ.
TODAY I'M HAPPY TO WELCOME NICOLE FROM THE BOOKBANDIT BLOG WHO WILL BE TALKING ABOUT SOME OF HER FAVORITE BOOK STORES! 

WARNING: THIS POST WILL MAKE YOU REALLY, REALLY WANT TO GO TO NYC.

Hello!

My name is Nicole and I run The BookBandit Blog (http://thebookbandit.wordpress.com). I’m very happy and excited to be featured here on Mia in Narnia’s blog as part of the Summer Blogger Promo Tour.

When Mia and I first chatted about the tour and the posts we wanted to feature, I quickly suggested that we’d write about our favorite bookstores. Being that we don’t live near one another I thought this would definitely be a fun post to write.

And it was …. until I realized that I really don’t have a “local” bookstore. I’m for New Jersey, a small city within the state that is literally only three miles long! There have been bookstores here in the past, but none that have lasted and survived.

But behold New York City! A city that isn’t only my playground but a city that is in my backyard! And NYC is full of local bookstores -- some of which are my favorite.

(Note: these are ranked in no particular order - I love them all equally!)

Word (NJ): Even though this indie bookstore is NOT in my hometown, it is in the next town over, so it kinda/sorta counts as my local bookstore. Word is relatively newer to the area, but it (in my opinion) has found a permanent home. Word will always have a special place in my heart. Why? Because it was the place where I had the chance to meet an author I grew up reading - R.L. Stine.

Besides books, I love all the bookish items that Word sells: book plates, book scented candles, and array of bookish pins!

While the books and all the bookish items are great, what I love about Word is the atmosphere. It’s really laid back and chill - the kind of place where you can mill about leisurely without being hounded.

Barnes & Noble (Paramus, NJ): As a booklover I love any place that sells books -- Barnes & Noble included. But I specifically love the Paramus, NJ Barnes & Nobel because they have a HUGE used book section -- a feature I have not seen in any other B&N I have ever visited. And when I say used books, I mean they are practically new. Seriously, you wouldn’t know the difference. I have seriously have bought books - used - there that just came out a week or two prior!
Another reason why I also like Barnes & Noble - in general, not just this specific store, is because whenever you purchase something, they suggest other titles that you may like. I like that they take that extra step.

McNally Jackson (NYC): Now, I must admit -- I haven’t visited this store very much. I’ve only been there a few times for special bookish events. And I must say, I really do enjoy the events there. I’ve seen some of my favorite authors (like Rainbow Rowell) there, talking books and life. Beyond that, I love their cafe, with the floating books!
McNally Jackson, I have found offers more than just books - it offers a great bookish atmosphere!

Books of Wonder (NYC): Of all the book store, I have probably frequented Books of Wonder the most. Seriously -- I can’t even count how many times I have been to this store. And every time I visit I can’t help but leave with a book or two.

What I like most about this store is that they have a good event space - a space which I have taken advantage off in the past. I’ve been to numerous author events there - including the yearly YA mega signing. Besides that I really love how this store specifically caters to Children’s and YA literature! And beyond those two reasons, I really love how this store carries so much signed stock! It’s awesome to walk in, buy a book you’ve been looking forward to, and finding out it’s been signed by the author.

The Strand (NYC):  Yes! Another NYC store! I told you NYC had quite a few (awesome) bookstores, didn’t I? Well, The Strand is the epicenter of books. Boasting more than eighteen miles of books, it’s more like book heaven than it is a book store. My favorite section is obvioulsy the YA section located on the second level of the store. The Strand offers both new and used selections of books. And I have to say, it is the one store that I’ve been to in NYC where you can buy a hardcover book for almost half price! Again, what book lover doesn’t love a good book deal?!
And still, they have some really cute tote bags (I’ve yet to buy one for myself), perfect to tote around all those books you are bound to buy there.


ONLINE RETAILERS:

Amazon: Being that I do NOT have a local bookstore in the town in which I live (yes, this saddens me very much!) I do rely on the interwebs for my book purchases. And Amazon, like many others, is the place I turn to to buy these books. I have found them to be reasonably priced, shipped within a timely manner, and have had great experience with their customer service department (the few times I have needed them). (www.amazon.com)

Book Outlet: Book Outlet is another online retailer I have recently taken a liking to. The reason being is simple: books are really inexpensive through Book Outlet’s online store! As a book love I am obviously a book buyer as well. And what book lover doesn’t love buying a great book at an extremely discounted price!?!  

So those are my favorite bookstores - locally and not so locally! I hope you enjoyed this post! A big THANK YOU to Mia for hosting me!

ABOUT THE BLOGGER:
DSCN1287.JPG
Hi! My name is Nicole. I'm a librarian by day, and a book blogger by night. I'm (obviously) an avid reader who is also an aspiring writer. I am a complete and utter music junkie, a sucker for any book to movie adaption, and I buy way too much makeup for one girl. My favorite author and book changes daily. And terrible at the 'about' me section of anything. For more info about me and my blog check out http://thebookbandit.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment