Friday, 9 October 2015

MIA REACTS: FIRST SHADOWHUNTERS TRAILER + LADY MIDNIGHT COVER

If you didn't know this yet, I am a HUGE fan of Cassandra Clare's Shadowhunter world, and I'm really excited (and apprehensive and nervous) about the upcoming TV adaptation which is set to premier in January 2016. I'm also ridiculously excited about Cassandra's BRAND NEW series set in the Shadowhunter world, the first book of which is set to be released next March.

Today has been a really exciting day for the Shadowhunters fandom; both the first full length trailer for the TV show and the cover for Lady Midnight, the first book in the Dark Artifices trilogy, were released! Needless today, I am completely freaking out right now, and I have a lot of thoughts I want to share.

Without further ado, here are my quick thoughts on the trailer and cover...

THE TRAILER: 
WATCH THE TRAILER HERE
I'm a lot more impressed with this first trailer than I thought I was going to be! It's most definitely NOT perfect, but there was a lot that I actually liked and I'm still really hopeful about the show. Also, the characters are ultimate squad goals. (I can't believe I just wrote that)

The trailer's really cheesy (like, REALLY cheesy) but that's honestly what I expected, and I'm not completely sure it's a bad thing.The special effects really aren't great, I have to admit, and this definitely adds to the cheese-factor. Honestly, The mortal instruments books always seemed quite cheesy and cliche to me anyway, but it's just so compelling and fun that it works. I'm really hoping it works for the show too.

It's really too early to know what they've changed about the story, but one thing that I did pick out from the trailer is that there seems to be way more Magnus! He's there in pandemonium, he's doing a weird ritual thing with the Shadowhunter (what's going on there?), and he actually seems to have more screen time than any of the other characters with the exception of Clary. I definitely don't think this is a bad thing (Magnus is probably my favorite character and I would be totally happy if the whole show was just about him), and I also think his makeup and costume look really cool! Go Magnus!

Alec is already my favourite thing about this show, and he hasn't even said anything yet. He just looks exactly how Alec looks in my head (meaning: he's totally beautiful) and I can already tell I'm going to love Matthew Daddario's portrayal. Jace has only had a couple of lines, but it seems like he's going to be super sassy and I love that. We barely saw any of Izzy, which is sad, but she looks so damn badass with that whip and I can't wait to see her slay everything. The one thing I've seen a lot of people complaining about is Katherine McNamara's portrayal of Clary, and even though I have to admit she seems really annoying in the trailer I've always hated Clary anyway, so I was expecting her to get on my nerves. It's mostly just her hair that's annoying me; why does it look so fake?
The one think I have to complain about when it comes to the characters is WHERE THE HELL IS SIMON? I know we saw him in the background of a couple of scenes, but I'm really worried now that his role is going to be completely diminished and that makes me really sad.

There are a few things I'm really questioning, mostly:
Who's that falling out the window?
Why is Magnus doing ritual things with the shadowhunters?

Why don't we have a Malec kiss yet? (I know it's early, but they're my OTP and I need them)
Where is Simon?
WHY DID CLARY TELEPORT? CLARY CANNOT TELEPORT. SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME. 

I have so many more thoughts, and I'll definitely be talking more about everything as we get more footage, but these are just my initial reactions to the first trailer. I'm still super excited about the show despite being a little bit unsure about a few things, and I can't wait until July!

THE COVER:
LOOK AT IT! Isn't it beautiful? I love it!

It's honestly not what I was expecting (I definitely thought there was going to be a picture of Emma being all badass and posing, not...drowning? Is that what's happening?) but it's so pretty that I really don't care. It kind of reminds me of the Mara Dyer covers with the colour scheme and the water, and I love those covers.

I don't have an in depth, insightful analysis about this (I recommend you look on tumblr for that), I mostly just want to say how pretty it is, but there are a few things I wanted to note.
For one, Emma's wearing a white dress, and we all know what that means...DEATH AND MOURNING! Not ominous at all, right?
I also wanted to point out the reflections of what I assume is the LA institute, mostly because I think it looks really cool and I like how the incorporated it. Also, what are those weird tentacle things at the bottom?

Basically, I really love the cover, and even though it's a little bit different to my copies of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices it's not different enough to make me mad. I'm so excited to see how all the things on the cover tie into the story in March!

So, those are my thoughts on the super exciting Shadowhunters stuff that's going on right now, but what are yours? Tell me what you think in the comments!

-MIA

No comments:

Post a Comment