Wednesday, 25 November 2015

I WON NANOWRIMO 2015!


I did it! I got 50k! I AM A CHAMPION! *victorious dancing*

That's right, at about 5pm on Sunday 22nd November (I haven't had time to post about it until now because school sucks) I hit 50 thousand words on my current novel, meaning that I won NaNoWriMo nine days early! I am extremely excited about this, especially since it was my first time participating, so of course I had to write a post to tell you guys all about it...

Here are my stats for the month so far:

I didn't think I was going to win so early, but I had a couple of really good writing days at the end of last week and I decided to try my best to hit 50k by the end of the weekend. It was a long shot, especially since I was really busy with school, but I managed to do it! I actually wrote a little over the target according to my word processor (I use OpenOffice, because it's free and really simple), but since the word processor on the NaNoWriMo website counted the words differently I had to write another 15 hundred or so to officially win. That was kind of frustrating, but it was definitely worth it when I won by the end of week three.

As you can probably tell from my graph, I haven't written much at all since I hit that magical word count three days ago. This is definitely not because my story's finished (more on that in a second), but just because I am honestly completely exhausted and kind of burned out at the minute from writing so much. I'm not used to writing so much in such a small amount of time, so after the initial excitement of winning NaNo wore off I decided to take a little writing break and try to pull myself back together a little bit. I also decided to dedicate some time to important activities such as watching Supergirl (which I am LOVING, by the way), rereading The Hunger Games and sleeping. I do definitely want to write some more in the remainder of this month and make the most of the amazing community and resources NaNoWriMo provides, and I'd actually love to get to 60k words for this month. There's still five days left, after all!

Even though I hit the 50k word count, I am most certainly NOT finished with my story. In fact, I'm not even half way through the stuff that I outlined, and there's even more that I want to add now that I know the story and characters much better than I did in October. Basically, it's going to be a super long book and it's going to take forever to edit and that sort of terrifies me. Plus, the 50 thousand words I have written are terrible, which means my editing is going to have to be really extensive and it's probably going to kill me...*panics*

I don't want to say anything else today, because I'm going to have another post or two at the end of November wrapping up the whole month and my experience taking part in NaNoWriMo, but I do want to wish luck to anybody else who is participating! If you've already hit 50k then CONGRATULATIONS(!!!!), and if you haven't, you can do it! Just keep writing, and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF! Also, if you're participating but aren't bothered about hitting 50k, that's great too! Go everyone!

Thanks for reading, and I hope the rest of your November is fabulous...
-MIA


No comments:

Post a Comment