Wednesday, 18 November 2015

TOP 5 WEDNESDAY: FAVOURITE HUNGER GAMES MOMENTS

TOP 5 WEDNESDAY IS A WEEKLY MEME CREATED BY LAINEY, AND YOU CAN FIND ALL OF THE INFORMATION IN THE GOODREADS GROUP

Hi everyone,

Its top 5 Wednesday! I haven't done one of these in a while due to NaNoWriMo taking over every aspect of my life, but this week's topic is so special that I couldn't miss out on it.

If you haven't been living under a rock for the past few months, you'll know that Mockingjay Part 2 comes out TOMORROW (in the UK, anyway). If you know anything about me, you'll know that I'm ridiculously excited/nervous to see it. To celebrate the occasion, this weeks Top 5 Wednesday topic is TOP 5 MOMENTS FROM 'THE HUNGER GAMES' SERIES.

As a huge, long-term Hunger Games fan (more on that in a post I'll have up in a couple of days) this was REALLY hard for me, but I managed to shorten my giant list of favourite moments down to just six (I couldn't get five, it was impossible). These moments have been taken from the books, but I've included movie clips just so that everybody knows what I'm talking about. Here they are...

WARNING: This post (obviously) contains spoilers for all three books in the Hunger Games series. You have been warned!

WARNING #2: I am very emotional about The Hunger Games. This passion may manifest itself during the post and make what I'm writing completely incoherent.

WARNING #3: I am a huge Peeta/Katniss shipper, and therefore a lot of these moments involve their relationship. If you really like Gale with Katniss, proceed with caution.

6: KATNISS' MEMORY (The Hunger Games, chapter 2)
To this day, I can never shake the connection between this boy, Peeta Mellark, and the bread that gave me hope, and the dandelion that reminded me that I was not doomed.

This is obviously the very start of Katniss and Peeta's relationship, and it's always struck me as such a powerful scene (even though the movie didn't do it justice *sigh*). It may be small, but I think it's really important to their relationship and it never fails to make me a little bit emotional.

5: "DO YOU WANT A SUGAR CUBE?" (Catching Fire, Chapter 15)

Honestly, I only picked this scene because it's the first time we see my favourite character in the series, Finnick Odair! Of course it's also a really iconic scene that added some much needed humor to the second book and all, but HALF NAKED FINNICK is all I really care about. 

4: "IF WE BURN, YOU BURN WITH US" (Mockingjay, chapter 7)
I'm getting chills just thinking about this scene. Katniss' speech after the bombing of the hospital in district 8 is incredibly powerful and emotional, and I think it's the first time we really see Katniss really take her role as the Mockingjay. It's also responsible for what is arguably one of the most memorable and important quotes in the whole series, and Jennifer Lawrence's delivery in the movie is just so moving and raw. 

3: THE MOCKINGJAY DRESS (Catching Fire, chapter 17)
I'm in a dress of the exact design of my wedding dress, only it's the colour of coal and made of tiny feathers. Wonderingly, I lift my long, flowing sleeves into the air, and that's when I see myself in the television screen. Clothed in black except for the white patches on my sleeves. Or should I say my wings. 
Because Cinna has turned me into a Mockingjay.

This is definitely one of the most important and powerful scenes in the entire series in my opinion, because it's the moment that Katniss really realizes just how powerful she could be and what an impact she could have on the revolution. Also, that dress is damn cool and Cinna is a genius and I want it for my prom.

2: "I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!" (The Hunger Games, chapter 2)
How could I have made this list without including this scene? It's probably the most iconic and recognizable moment in the series, even for people who know nothing about it, and of course it's the event that started everything and lead to all the other moments on this list. I also think it really shows Katniss' strength and love for her sister, and now I'm getting really emotional again...*sniffles*
Feel free to shout along to the clip above. I know it's impossible not to.

1: "REAL" (Mockingjay, chapter 27)
What I need to survive is not Gale's fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that.
So after, when he whispers, "You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real" 
I know a lot of people don't like the ending of Mockingjay, but I love it. I think this moment is just so beautiful and touching and romantic, and it seems like the perfect way to wrap up the story to me. It's a bittersweet ray of hope at the end of a really grim story and...damn, I'm actually just tearing up just writing this. KATNISS AND PEETA FOREVER.*bursts into tears*

Well, that was an emotional rollercoaster. I don't even know how I'm going to survive watching the final movie tomorrow night (watch out for a review/rant really soon!) 

Thanks so much for reading, and don't forget to leave some of your favourite moments in the comments...
-MIA

No comments:

Post a Comment