Sunday, 15 November 2015

WRITERS WEEKENDS: NANOWRIMO WEEK 2

Hi everyone,
We're half way through NaNoWriMo, and I have to admit, I'm not anywhere near as confident as I was last week. Damn the second week slump!


My total word count right now (as of 1:21 pm on Sunday 15th November 2015) is exactly 35,000 words, which means I'm still quite a bit ahead of the target for today. 10 thousand words ahead, to be exact. I wrote over 5 thousand words last Sunday, which got me to the midway point of 25,000 words for the month. Then...it all kind of went downhill. Even so, my average word count per day is 2,333, and apparently at this rate I'll finish on the 22nd of November.

My word count might look good, but I'm not feeling so positive about my story. I feel like I've just been stuck in the same place all week, and the plot doesn't seem to be moving forwards at all no matter how much I write. My characters are acting like idiots, my voice isn't consistent, and my world building is practically non existent. I know I can fix all of this in editing, but it's still kind of disheartening when you hate every single word you write. Luckily, I'm coming up to a really big action scene that I've been looking forwards to writing for ages, so I really hope that'll lift my story back up and bring back some of the writing inspiration that I had so much of in week one.

The only other development I can think of from this week is that I've become obsessed with writing to Broadway cast recordings. They have nothing to do with my story and probably aren't very good for getting me into the right head space, and I am prone to singing along instead of writing, but right now they seem to be the only thing making writing enjoyable. My current favorites are newsies and the book of mormon

I don't want to go on forever this week, so I'm going to leave it here. I need to write that damn novel!

Have a great November, and I hope NaNoWriMo's going well for you if you're participating...
-MIA

No comments:

Post a Comment