Sunday, 31 January 2016

WRITER WEEKENDS: GETTING UN-STUCK



Hi everyone!

Recently I hit a wall in my writing. I wasn't sure why- maybe it was because I was so busy with school, or maybe it was because I'd been writing so much that I burned myself out- but suddenly I had absolutely no desire to write, and my story came to a complete standstill. This slump was so bad that I didn't write anything for almost two months, and I was starting to go slightly insane. Luckily I've managed to pick myself back up, and over the past few days I've finally being working consistently on my story again. Hooray!

This is something almost every writer faces at some point, no matter how talented or motivated they are, so today I just wanted to share some ways you can help to unstick your story and start writing again...
GO BACK TO WHAT INSPIRED YOU
Whether it was a song, a photo or a random tumblr post (who said surfing the internet couldn't be productive?), revisiting what made you want to write this story in the first place is a sure-fire way to refresh your inspiration and remind you just why you decided to commit to this project.

UPDATE YOUR PLAYLIST
I always write to music, and I love creating playlists to go with different projects. I found that finding new songs that fit my story really helped to get me back into the world of my novel and make writing fun again. Plus, it's an excuse to listen to loads of new music!

IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM
What is it that's making you not want to write? Figuring this out is the first way to fixing the problem. If it's that your characters aren't strong enough, do some character development. If it's your setting that you don't like, change it. You can't make something better until you know what's wrong with it.

TAKE A LOOK BACK
Reading back through your planning, your outline or even parts of the story you've already written will get you back into the world of your story and remind you what it id you're actually supposed to be writing.


TAKE IT SLOW!
You don't need to write 5 thousand words in a day if you haven't written for a month. It's just not realistic. Work at your own pace, and everything will come together eventually. Don't panic!

Thanks for reading, and have a great week...
-MIA

2 comments:

  1. This is the post I needed to see today, THANK YOU! I put down my last draft after hitting 50K and my breather turned into a month long+ break because I just couldn't get back into it (partly because the timing sucked and everything outside of writing demanded my attention at once). Now I'm onto a new idea and writing feels good :) that's some great advice! I love going onto pinterest and both looking at my boards plus making new pins to get idea sparks flying.
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, I'm so glad this was helpful! I loooove using pinterest for writing, although sometimes I think I love it a bit *too* much and I can spend a whole day on there ;) Hope both your projects go well!

      Delete