Saturday, 16 July 2016

CAMP NANOWRIMO: I FINISHED THE FIRST DRAFT!

Hi everyone,

I know I only posted my week two Camp NaNo update yesterday (read that HERE!), but I had a very exciting development today that I just had to talk about.

I FINISHED THE FIRST DRAFT OF MY NOVEL! AHHHHHH!

This post is totally just going to be a stream of consciousness type of thing, and I am extremely tired right now. Apologies for any weird sentences or awful grammar mistakes that may occur as a result of these circumstances.

Some backstory: I started this book in November for NaNoWriMo and wrote around 60k words. It was going great. Then life got in the way and I only managed to write about 10k words between December and June. I decided to use Camp NaNoWriMo this month as an opportunity to finally finish the novel and get back into the habit of writing, and it worked! This is my second novel, and it's definitely the one that I poured most of my heart and soul into.

I finished this draft at approximately 10pm on the 16th July, more than eight months since I first started it. That's almost as long as a baby! It is a grand total of 100,331 words long and...well, frankly it's pretty awful right now. But whatever, I can worry about that later.

I'm an emotional mess right now, honestly, even though I feel like I'm too exhausted to really take in what just happened. I've put so much of my time and effort and probably a part of my literal soul (does that make the book a horcrux?!) into this draft, and now that I've finished it I don't know what to do with myself. I'm proud and overwhelmed and emotional and slightly terrified of what's going to happen next, and I honestly don't know what to do with myself.

There's one problem, though. I still have to write 15k words to win Camp NaNo. There are quite a few scenes that need adding to this story, but I think I'm going to leave that until I start working on the second draft. I need to push this novel aside for the moment (even though I don't want to. I miss my characters already!) and try to clear my head a bit. Instead, I'm going to be counting every little bit of writing I do (including this blog post) towards my word count and hoping it all adds up. There are a few little short stories I want to write, and I'm excited to have the freedom to do that now instead of just focusing on a novel.

So, what comes next for this novel? I'm not going to pick it up for a while, but when I do it needs a hell of a lot of editing! I don't even want to think about how much work is needed to try and smooth it out and fill all the damned plot holes. I'm going to be starting a brand new novel in November (which I am VERY excited to start planning) , and then I want to write the third and final draft of my first novel. Needless to say, there's a lot of writing to be done, but I think I'm ready for it! After I've been to sleep, that is...

Thank you so much for reading this mess of a post. I'm going to eat cake.
-MIA

No comments:

Post a Comment