Tuesday, 5 July 2016

CURSED CHILD COUNTDOWN: ULTIMATE HARRY POTTER TAG

Hi everyone,

There are currently only 25 DAYS until the opening night of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on the West End! That's 26 days until the release of the script book (I just got my ticket for the midnight release party!), and only 18 days until I actually see the show myself. Needless to say, I am very excited about this.

Today I wanted to do a post that really celebrated the whole Harry Potter franchise, and what better way is there to do that than the Ultimate Harry Potter Book Tag?! This tag was created by Just Keep Reading on YouTube back in 2014, and consists of 30 fun Potter-themed questions.

SPOILER ALERT: This post will contain spoilers for the Harry Potter books and movies, so read at your own risk! It does not contain any spoilers for the Cursed Child (I don't know any myself yet!).

GENERAL

1: Favourite book?
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I just love the whole concept of the triwizard tournament, and I have to admit I have a soft spot for Cedric Diggory. I love them all, though, of course!

2: Least favourite book?
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. For me it's the least exciting and eventful book in the series, and honestly I often forget what even happened (apart from the ending. Never forget.). Again, I do love them all so it's definitely not a bad book.

3: Favourite movie?
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, basically for the same reasons I love the book. It did leave out a lot from the books but that's inevitable, especially when it's such a long book.

4: Least favourite movie?
Again, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (I don't actually hate it, I swear). It has the same problems as the book for me and some of the things that were changed from the book were completely unnecessary and honestly pretty stupid. *cough*burning down the Burrow*cough*

5: Favourite quote?
"You're just as sane as I am"
I absolutely adore Luna as a character, and this line introduced her so well! I want it on about 500 T-shirts.



CHARACTERS
6: Favourite Weasley?
Ginny Weasley is one of the most underrated badass characters in the Wizarding World (probably because of the films, but I won't get started on that yet!).I can't understand how anybody can not love her. Fred and George come in a close second (and third, I guess).

7: Favourite female character?
There are very few fictional characters I love, or relate to more, than Hermione Granger. I've always had kind of a personal connection to her since I think we're alike in quite a few ways, although Hermione is considerably cooler than I will ever be.

8: Favourite villain?
Does Draco Malfoy count as a villain? I see him more as an antihero, but I'm going to choose him for this question anyway.  I think he's such an interesting character, and he has a lot more depth than most people give him credit for.

9: Favourite male character?
Remus Lupin is my favourite character from the Harry Potter universe, and in my opinion by far the most underrated. He does so much to help Harry, particularly in the Prisoner of Azkaban, and I think there is so much more to him that J.K Rowling could have explored (which is just one of the many reasons I want a Marauders book so badly). I'm getting emotional just thinking about him, honestly.

10: Favourite professor?
I think this one's obvious based on my previous answer. Not only was Remus Lupin a fascinating character, he was also probably the only competent DADA Professor Harry ever had (although we're comparing him to Umbridge here, so I guess it's not that hard) and one of the most caring and dedicated teachers at Hogwarts.
Honorable mention to Minerva McGonagall, who is honestly just a badass.


WOULD YOU RATHER...
11:  Wash Snape's hair or spend a day listening to Lockhart rant about himself?
Both of these situations sound torturous, but at least washing Snape's hair would be over fairly quickly. Besides, he really needs a good shampoo.

12: Fight an elated Bellatrix or an angry Molly?
Elated Bellatrix. We've all seen how fierce Molly can be when crossed, and she did manage to defeat Bellatrix in the end which shows she's probably more powerful. Also, Bellatrix is crazy and erratic, especially when she's fighting people, whereas I feel like Molly would be more focused and therefore more likely to kill me. Plus, I really wouldn't want to hurt Molly (she'd never adopt me then, which would ruin all my plans) but if I was duelling with her I might not get a choice.
I put way too much thought into this, didn't I?


13: Travel to Hogwarts via Hogwarts Express or flying car?
You're not getting the full Hogwarts experience if you don't go on the Hogwarts express. It's a very important tradition! And we all know how well the flying car went last time...


14: Kiss Voldemort or give Umbridge a bubble bath?
WHY. WHY IS THIS A QUESTION? WHO THOUGHT OF THIS?
I guess I'd kiss Voldemort, because at least it'd be over faster and the other option makes me want to throw up.
I need to go and wash my brain out now...

15. Ride a hippogriff or ride a firebolt?
Honestly, riding a broomstick and playing quidditch never appealed to me. I hate sports, and I'm almost certain I'd just fall of and die immediately. I would probably also die immediately riding a hippogriff, but at least I'd be having fun in my final moments.

BOOK TO MOVIE ADAPTATION
16: Is there a character which you felt differently about in the movies vs books?
GINNY WEASLEY. I know this is such an obvious answer, but the films totally didn't do her character justice. They basically took away everything that made her so badass and unique and demoted her to just being a love interest for Harry (and that storyline wasn't even developed well). I'm not blaming this on Bonnie Wright- it's not her fault she had no script to work with.

17: Is there a movie you preferred instead of the book?
No way. The movies, as much as I love them, just never captured the magic and the detail of J.K Rowling's writing. THE BOOK IS ALWAYS BETTER!

18: Richard Harris or Michael Gambon as Dumbledore?
To be honest, I didn't even know there were two actors until a couple of years ago. I know it's stupid, but I was young and no familiar enough with Harry Potter to actually tell the difference. Now I'd say that Richard Harris is my favourite since he's the original Dumbledore and the one I always see when I picture him, although I think they both did great jobs at embodying different parts of Dumbledore's character.

19: Your top thing (person or event) which wasn't included in the movie that annoyed you most.
Marauders backstory! Everything about the Marauders was either completely cut out or massively rushed over in the films, particularly in the Prisoner of Azkaban. I really missed learning about their backstories and personalities, and the films barely even explained their friendship or the origins of the Marauder's map. Mostly I'm just mad that this meant they lost so many opportunities to shows and develop Remus' character and...well, I could go on about this for hours.


20: If you could remake any of the Potter movies, which would it be?
The Prisoner of Azkaban, mostly for the reasons previously mentioned. I just want more Marauders, goddammit!


HOGWARTS
21: Which house was your first gut feeling you'd be a part of?
Ravenclaw. Honestly, the description of their traits and values just fits me perfectly and I couldn't imagine being in any other house. RAVENCLAW PRIDE!


22: Which house were you actually sorted into on Pottemore (or another online sorting quiz)?
Ravenclaw! I've taken hundreds (literally) of sorting quizzes, and I almost always get Ravenclaw with just a few Hufflepuff results. Pottermore also tells me that I would be in Thunderbird at Ilvermorny, although I don't really know what to make of that yet.

23: Which class would be your favourite?
I feel like my favourite class would be something kind of boring and not particularly magical, like History of Magic or something. I prefer writing and learning facts to more practical subjects, so things like potions don't really appeal to me. All of the classes sound fascinating, though.

24: Which spell do you think would be most useful to learn?
Lumos, honestly because I never have a torch and I always need a torch but every time I buy a torch I lose it. It's tragic. I'd also love to be able to create a patronus, although I don't know how useful it would be since I don't plan on encountering dementors very often.


25: Which character do you think at Hogwarts you'd instantly become best friends with?
Hermione, because I love her more than I love my real life friends (sorry guys!) and I think we could definitely bond over our love of books and not failing exams. Or Luna. Or both of them. We could be the new golden trio!

MISCELLANEOUS
26: If you could own one of the three Hallows, which would it be?
The invisibility cloak. I honestly have no use for extremely powerful wands or stones that can resurrect people, whereas an invisibility cloak could be used for many purposes such as stalking people and stealing food.

27: Is there any aspect of the books you'd want to change? This can be a character, and event, anything.
There are a few character deaths (and by 'a few' I mean, like, 10), mostly in Deathly Hallows, which I would certainly prevent from happening. I understand that the deaths that occur are either symbolic or important for the story, but they completely crushed my heart and I will never forgive J.K Rowling for writing them. *sniffles*

28: Favourite marauder?
I guess everyone knows this by now. REMUS LUPIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just need my Remus Lupin spinoff book/film/play/musical/TV show/video game/webseries right now.

29: If you could bring one character back to life, which would it be?
Fred Weasley. Although Remus is my favourite character and his death absolutely devastated me, I feel like Fred had more to live for whereas Remus would have been miserable without his wife and all of his friends (wow, that's depressing). Of course I wish Teddy had grown up with his father, but I just feel so awful for George and the rest of the Weasley's that I don't think I could resist the opportunity to bring Fred back.
I'm actually tearing up writing this. Dammit.

30: Hallows or horcruxes?
Hallows. I don't get why anyone would want horcruxes...like, why would you want to split up your soul and live a cursed life and live long enough to watch all your friends and family die? I would not make a good Dark Lord, apparently.

Mischief managed,
-MIA

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH, THIS POST! (Sorry, you can kind of tell that I'm a little bit of a crazy Harry Potter fan. My excitement for Cursed Child is getting pretty ridiculous.) And that quote's probably my favourite of all of them too - because just ... LUNA.

    I probably need to stop this comment now before my inner fangirl tears me apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never apologise for being a Harry Potter fan! I'm totally with you on the cursed child excitement; IT'S SO CLOSE!
      Glad that someone shares my love for Luna Lovegood, haha :)

      Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  2. I got my copy of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child book today.
    I brought it from Amazon and they delivered it in just 2 days!
    Check them out:
    Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2, Special Rehearsal Edition Script

    ReplyDelete