Monday, 8 August 2016

BOOKS THAT MADE ME CRY :,(

Hi everyone,

I am the kind of person that cries at books. A lot. Like, I seriously cry to some extent at more than 75% of the books I read. I'm just a very emotional person anyway, and I get extremely attached to characters extremely quickly. It's not a good combination.

Upon thinking about this, I realised that most of the books I get really emotional about fit into four different categories. In this post I just wanted to talk about those, and give a few examples of books in each category in case you want to spend all your money on tissues too.

This post was prompted by Lisa Heathfield's Paper Butterflies, which made me cry for over an hour straight. It's brilliant and it broke me. You should read it!

THE OBVIOUS TEARJERKERS
Books in this category contain subject matter that will definitely make people emotional (cancer, wars etc.) and are written in a way that is obviously supposed to tug on your heartstrings. I always know what's coming with these books, but that doesn't stop them from reducing me to a sobbing mess.
THE FAULT IN OUR STARS - JOHN GREEN Duh. I'm sure everyone knows about this book by now, and I'm sure most people have cried over it. It was one of the first YA books I ever read (and is now one of my all time favourites) and it completely obliterated my heart.
ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES - JENNIFER NIVEN I know this one has very mixed reviews, but I love it. I don't love how it completely broke me and made me cry for hours. You can probably guess from the synopsis why it was so heartbreaking.
THE BOOK THIEF - MARKUS ZUSAK Is there any book about World War II that doesn't make everyone cry? Seriously? This one in particular is in my top 5 favourite books of all time, and it honestly might be one of the most heartbreaking I've ever read. I can't even think about it without getting emotional.

THE SERIES FINALES
The last book in a series is always emotional. Just thinking about the fact that I won't get to read about my favourite characters and their stories again is enough to make me tear up, and then the authors always decide it's time to kill off everyone I love.
CLOCKWORK PRINCESS - CASSANDRA CLARE This is my favourite book of all time, and it may also be the book that made me cry the most. I just love these characters so much.
ALLEGIANT - VERONICA ROTH I (like almost every other Divergent fan) was pretty disappointed by Allegiant as a conclusion to one of my favourite series, but that didn't stop me from sobbing hysterically over a few things that happened. I will never accept it, honestly.
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - J.K. ROWLING J.K. Rowling is evil and also a genius. That is all.

THE UNEXPECTED HEARTBREAKERS
This refers to when I'm just happily reading a book and then all of a sudden something happens that completely rips my heart out of my chest. It's the worst kind of sad book because you don't get the opportunity to prepare yourself before your emotions overwhelm you, and therefore can lead to the highest amounts of tears.
ELEANOR AND PARK - RAINBOW ROWELL No spoilers, but the ending of this book completely kills me every time I read it (and I've read it a few times because I love this book so damn much). I knew I was emotionally invested in these characters, but I wasn't prepared to be quite that heartbroken.
SOLDIER - JULIE KAGAWA Again, I don't want to spoil anything but THIS ENDING. WHY? WHY, JULIE?
PAPER BUTTERFLIES - LISA HEATHFIELD I was crying for most of this book, honestly, but there's an event near the end that just made everything 10 times worse. As the book that prompted this post, it was obviously very sad.

THE HAPPY TEARS
Did you really think I, one of the most over emotional people on this planet, only cry when I'm sad? Although it's quite rare for me to cry with happiness over a book, it's definitely happened a few times before. Happiness is an emotion too!
SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA - BECKY ALBERTALLI The ending of this book was so cute that it literally made me cry. I just couldn't handle the adorable-ness.
THE RAVEN KING - MAGGIE STIEFVATER I'm not going to spoil anything, of course, but my ship finally got together in this book (which also fits into the series finale category of books that made me cry) and I was very overwhelmed. ALL OF THE FEELS.
FANGIRL - RAINBOW ROWELL This is one of those books where I just started crying and then I didn't know why I was crying, and then I realised it was because I was just so connected to the characters that every time something good happened to them it made me ridiculously emotional. Does anyone else get that? No....?

This is by no means a comprehensive list of books that made me cry (that would be literally impossible to write) but I think you get the point! Thank you so much for reading,
-MIA

No comments:

Post a Comment