Thursday, 1 September 2016

DISCUSSION: APPRECIATION VS. ENJOYMENT

Hi everyone,

Today I wanted to introduce something a little bit different for this blog, although everyone else has been doing them forever. Discussion posts! Basically, I give my (scattered, probably incoherent) thoughts on a topic and hopefully start a little bit of a debate in the comments!


This post was actually inspired by the hashtag #GameofthronesVsTeenwolf, which was trending in the UK the other day for some reason I didn't bother to look into. This isn't going to debate on which is the better show (I don't even watch Game of Thrones, honestly), but it did make me think about something; what's the difference between appreciating something is good and actually enjoying it?


I mean, from an objective standpoint Game of Thrones is obviously the better show. I may not have ever watched a full episode, but from the clips I've seen I can tell that it has far better acting, writing and production than anything MTV has put out. It has, like, 100 emmy awards. On the other hand, Teen Wolf has been one of my favourite shows for years. It's ridiculously cheesy, the storylines often don't make any sense and the dialogue makes me cringe, but I still enjoy watching it. I appreciate the effort and artistry that goes into a show like Game of Thrones, but I genuinely love Teen Wolf for what it is. So, which one is better? What side should I take in this (completely pointless and unnecessary) debate?

This definitely applies to books as well. There are so many books that I love but acknowledge are...you know, not actually very good. (I'm not naming any names here. That would be far too scandalous) They don't have the best writing or the most developed characters, but something about them is just so enjoyable that I still consider them some of my favourites. Then there are books I(normally classics) that are technically really good, and I know they're really good, but for whatever reason I don't enjoy them. This makes it kind of hard to recommend books to people, an often leads to me feeling a little bit ashamed of the things that I actually enjoy. Sometimes I feel like I should pretend to like things I don't just because I know it's objectively good, and I don't think that's right.

So, I've accepted that there's a difference between appreciating something and enjoying it. My favourite books aren't all pieces of literary genius, my favourite films probably aren't going to win any Oscars, and I think that's okay. I can still call them my favourites, and I can still acknowledge there are other things that are technically a lot better than them. But what do you think? Do you agree with me, or are you only capable of enjoying award winning masterpieces that revolutionised their genre? Let me know in the comments!

-MIA


No comments:

Post a Comment