Sunday, 25 September 2016

WRITER WEEKENDS: NANOWRIMO, TIME MANAGEMENT AND SHINY NEW IDEAS


Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've talked about writing on here. That's mainly because I haven't been writing much at all, so I guess there wasn't much to say. Anyway, with NaNoWriMo around the corner I'm finally starting to get back into the writing spirit and do you know what that means? UPDATE TIME!



So. NaNoWriMo...*runs away screaming*. I know it's over a month away and I know rationally that I have more than enough time to prepare but I feel so overwhelmed by it already. It would probably be a good idea to take this year off (it's my first term of Sixth Form after all, and it's kicking my butt) but I've gotten too connected to my story and my characters to give up now. I know if I don't do NaNo I'm never going to find the chance to start writing this damn book, and so I'm doing it.

I don't want to say too much about my novel now since it's only in the very early stages of development, and I'm sure I'll be sharing so much over the next couple of months that anybody who reads this blog will get completely sick of it. It's a YA fantasy retelling of Beauty and the Beast with assassins and ghosts and pretty dresses and feminism and I LOVE IT. I know the market is kind of over saturated with fairytale retellings right now (especially Beauty and the Beast retellings since it's such a classic story) but I just love the original story so much and I really, really hope the spin I put on it is something worth reading. I don't have much of a plot yet but I do have a few characters I've completely fallen in love with, a magic system that currently makes no sense (I'm terrible with magic systems. Someone remind me why I decided to write fantasy!) and a really cool pinterest board. Basically, I'm pretty happy with how my NaNo prep is going so far.

There's just one problem; SHINY NEW IDEA SYNDROME STRIKES AGAIN! I just keep thinking of new concepts for new stories which suddenly seem a whole lot more interesting that what I'm working on, and before I know it I've spent the hour I set aside to work on my NaNo novel making a playlist for this random idea that will probably never lead to anything. There's one story in particular, a novel that I've been thinking about for a while and plan to write next year, that has decided to take over my brain at the most inconvenient time and totally distract me from what I'm supposed to be doing. It's so frustrating! I've thought of switching to that one for NaNo instead but it involves far more research and plotting than I can handle right now. Do I look like I have time for a complicated mystery with a million storylines? I can't even write a blog post most weeks!

Time is the other problem I'm facing right now. Or, more accurately, lack of time. School is leeching away all of my energy and taking up nearly every hour I would normally spend on writing (or planning writing, or whatever) and also messing up my sleep schedule and killing my creativity and... You get the picture. Time management has never been my strong suit, but I'm really working on it now. Hopefully by November I will have figured out how to fit writing in around the rest of my life. Hopefully.

Thanks for reading! If you have any tips on how to cure shiny new idea syndrome or how to manipulate the space-time continuum to give myself time to write please feel free to tell me in the comments.
-MIA

No comments:

Post a Comment